Continuous learning and improvement are key to your success as an agile practitioner. That means your learning shouldn’t start or end with Scrum certification, agile team coaching, or any of our other offerings. To reduce your time spent seeking resources and increase your time spent actually learning, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite books, blogs, and articles.
Blogs & Podcasts
- Agile Toolkit Podcast by Bob Payne, featuring over a hundred interviews with Agile experts and practitioners it is the premier podcast for the Agile community.
- Adaptive Path: A blog by one of the first design firms focused on user experience.
- Agile Advice: A multi-author blog headed up by Mishkin Berteig that covers Scrum, Extreme Programming, Lean Software Development, OpenAgile, and other topics related to teams and management.
- Agile CMMI: A starting point for a discussion on marrying Agile methods and CMMI, written by Hillel Glazer.
- Agile Product Design by blog by Jeff Patton, an agile coach dedicated to the holistic design and development of successful software products.
- Agile Management Blog by David Anderson, a thought leader in managing effective technology development and author of Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change For Your Technology Business.
- Alistair Cockburn’s blog
- All About Agile by Kelly Waters is a blog that covers all aspects of agile development and agile project management using agile software development methods such as Scrum, Extreme Programming and Lean development.
- Confused of Calcutta by JP Rangaswami
- The Cutter Blog: a multi-author blog, a platform where Cutter’s senior consultants and fellows present their opinions on and reactions to what’s happening in business technology.
- George Dinwiddie’s Blog: George, a network partner of ours, specializes in helping teams become more effective while helping them accomplish their current project. His blog is about all things agile.
- Implementing Scrum Blog: Michael Vizdos’s blog is mainly focused on Scrum. He’s a Certified Scrum Trainer and Certified Scrum Practitioner (Coach, Mentor, Consultant) who trains new Certified ScrumMasters (CSM) all around the world.
- Leading Answers: A blog by Mike Griffiths where he shares ideas on leadership and agile project management and engages in conversations on these topics.
- Managing Product Development: A management-focused blog by Johanna Rothman for people who want to think about how they manage people, projects, and risk.
- Scrum Alliance Community Webinars: A live, interactive webinar hosted by industry experts on a wide array of topics.
- This is Product Management: A podcast that brings some of the brightest minds in product management hosted by Mike Fishbein.
- Visual Management by Xavier Quesada Allue
- Illustrated Agile: A blog by Len Lagestee, Manager of Project Management and Methodology at Cars.com, which has undertaken a major organizational transformation. In the blog, he documents highlights of the journey toward agility and shares his thoughts on Agile, Scrum, and Leadership. Neat sketches included!
Articles & Presentations
5Qs on Agile (opinions by many prominent Agile industry veterans)
Agile Tool Evaluator Guide by VersionOne
Transitioning to Agile Project Management by Sanjiv Augustine
Agile Project Management: Steering from the Edges by Sanjiv Augustine
Getting Started with Agile Delivery by Sanjiv Augustine
One Page Introduction to Agile by Sanjiv Augustine
So, How’s that Agile Initiative Doing? by Sanjiv Augustine
The Lean-Agile PMO: Using Lean-Thinking to Accelerate Agile Delivery by Sanjiv Augustine and Roland Cuellar
The New Methodology by Martin Fowler
Many of the books we recommend cover a variety of topics, however we figured it would be easiest to categorize them into topics for easier browsing.
Product and Project Management
- Managing Agile Projects by LitheSpeed President Sanjiv Augustine
- Agile Estimating and Planning and Applied User Stories by Mike Cohn
- Managing the Design Factory by Donald G. Reinertsen
- The Software Project Manager’s Bridge to Agility by Michele Sliger and Stacia Broderick
- Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products by Jim Highsmith
- Agile Software Development by Alistair Cockburn
- Becoming Agile: …in an imperfect world by Greg Smith and Dr. Ahmed Sidky
- Encyclopedia of Software Engineering edited by Phillip A. Laplante
- Fearless Change by Linda Rising and Mary Lynn Manns
Continuous Team Improvement
- Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great by Esther Derby and Diana Larsen
- Collaboration Explained by Jean Tabaka
- Crystal Clear: A Human-Powered Methodology for Small Teams by Alistair Cockburn
- Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play by Luke Hohmann
- Personal A3: Collaborative Career Development
- Agile Software Development with Scrum by Ken Schwaber and Mike Beedle
- Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
Managers & Executives
- Agile Adoption Patterns: A Roadmap to Organizational Success by Amr Elssamadisy
- Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager’s Guide by Craig Larman
- The Business Value of Agile Software Methods: Maximizing Roi with Just-In-Time Processes and Documentation by David F. Rico, Hasan H. Sayani, and Saya Sone
- Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change For Your Technology Business by David Anderson
- Lean Software Development – An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers by Mary and Tom Poppendieck
- Lean Solutions by Jim Womack and Dan Jones
- Lean Thinking by Jim Womack and Dan Jones
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
- Running Lean: Iterating from Plan A to a Plan That Works by Ash Maurya
- Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change by Kent Beck
- Planning Extreme Programming by Kent Beck and Martin Fowler